Monday, February 14, 2011

New addition

Notice the title is New Addition, not New Edition...I won't be putting this to music even though Mr. Telephone Man was a great song back in the day. Makes me want to break out the record player now...but I digress... :-)

Sarah and I found out some much anticipated news on Saturday...we will have a new addition to our family in about 9 months! Some of you who've known me since way back when...since the Mr. Telephone Man era are probably sitting there staring at the screen in complete shock. Some of you may not know a single thing about this whole process and are probably thinking "how in the world are two women going to have a baby together...isn't that physically impossible???" Well things have changed since New Edition and a lot more is possible these days. And I am thankful for that every day!

Sarah and I have been trying to get pregnant since October of 2009. We have run a hundred searches on California Cryobank trying to find the perfect donor. We finally picked our donor and prepared for Insemination 101. Our first experience was not such a great one...as we thought we would save a little money by trying to do it at home. Well at $685 a pop plus $175 for shipping for a small little vial of baby daddy, home insemination is not the smartest decision we've ever made. But at least we have the funny memories to tell. Sarah's description of that one is much more interesting than mine since she had to do all the hard work. :-)

Since our "do it yourself" method didn't work out so well, we decided the next time we would use a medically trained professional in the field of fertility. But the second time didn't go quite as planned either. The donor we had chosen was apparently a very popular gentleman and by the time we decided to order another vial, the cryobank didn't have any left and he had retired from the system...which meant they weren't going to be getting anymore from him. So we found another donor and started this process again. Turns out this ovulation thing is tricky. Unfortunately, our very important shipment didn't arrive in time for us to inseminate in March of 2010. So he got to spend a long, cold month in the freezer at Arkansas Fertility Clinic awaiting my next ovulation. We tried again in April, but were still unsuccessful.

As the old saying goes - third time's a charm. It took us 9 long months to save up enough money to try this again. I guess the Lord was preparing us for the next 9 months of our lives because on January 29th, we inseminated for the 3rd time. On Saturday, February 12th, we found out it would be the last time we would have to do this. After I took the test, I was waiting for one of the lines to get darker than the other because that's how the ovulation results work. Sarah had to tell me I was pregnant. :-) We were both overwhelmed with joy and excitement!!!

It's official...I went to the doctor today - February 14, 2011 - Valentine's Day! This is becoming my favorite holiday! Great things always happen to me on this day. Sarah sent me flowers for the first time on Valentine's Day 3 years ago. And now we are having a baby together. God blessed me by putting Sarah and Jaylee in my life and surrounding us with great family and wonderful friends! And now He finds us both worthy enough to give us another beautiful gift...another child.

Christy

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! Congratulations on the growth of your family, we're so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love the blog! I hope you keep up with yours more than I do mine! haha...

    ReplyDelete